Data before 2005 disappeared

Discussion about upload/download of data, import/export of foreign formats, etc.
jubi

Data before 2005 disappeared

Post by jubi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:44 am

Hello!

After a time consuming process of importing and with some trouble I had managed to bring all my historical data since 2001 into Meteoplug.
But today all data before September 2005 has disappeared from the "Inspect Data" dialogbox. With graphic utilities you can still see the data.
After reimporting February 2001 I tried to undelete data from February on to April but this leads to deleting the data from graphics.

I don't like to reimport all the data! :evil:

What went wrong?

Regards, Uwe

skyewright

Re: Data before 2005 disappeared

Post by skyewright » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am

jubi wrote:What went wrong?
Here is a quote from http://wiki.meteoplug.com/FAQ:
Meteoplug will also drop raw data (because of space limitations) after two years, but you will get notice about that and you can download raw data and store it locally on your PC. All derived data used for computation and graphing will not be deleted at all (not reflecting the risk of loosing data by accident).
So Meteoplug would be perfectly within the documented behaviour to delete raw data up to September 2008. The fact that the policy is apparently being applied more loosely at present and has only deleted the raw data up to September 2005 is something of a bonus. :D
David

jubi

Post by jubi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm

skyewright wrote: Here is a quote from http://wiki.meteoplug.com/FAQ:
Meteoplug will also drop raw data (because of space limitations) after two years, but you will get notice about that and you can download raw data and store it locally on your PC. All derived data used for computation and graphing will not be deleted at all (not reflecting the risk of loosing data by accident).
Hello David,

I have to confess that I didn't recognize this statement before. But as you quoted, it is said
...but you will get notice about that...
I have not gotten any notice about that ! :o

Regards Uwe

skyewright

Post by skyewright » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:50 pm

jubi wrote: I have not gotten any notice about that ! :o
You probably need Boris for the definitive answer but...

the notice you mention is so that
...you can download raw data and store it locally on your PC.
i.e. to give you a chance to stash away a copy of the raw data before it is deleted.

Your pre 2005 data was imported (and obvioulsy so since Meteoplug has only existed since earlier in 2010) so it may have seemed reasonable to assume that there already is a copy stashed away somewhere?

Just a thought...
David

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I had a history limit of 5 years in place, which had deleted old data. I just changed that to 10 years.
Sorry, but please upload again ;-)