Meteoplug lagging behind...

General Discussion about Meteoplug server
admin
Site Admin

Meteoplug lagging behind...

Post by admin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Some of you already discovered that Meteoplug does sometimes lag a bit behind updating your freshest weather data. In general Meteoplug is designed to queue data it cannot compute at once, caused by high system load or stalled processes. The load peaks during the last weeks were caused by an excessive backup schema running in the background. I just banned that to sunday nights, so during the week Meteoplug should be as speedy as you need it.

I added a graph view for you to inspect the server status. This might help you to get a feeling, if there is just a temporary load peak or if your client does have a problem when data does not show up as recent as expected. Please have a look at http://wiki.meteoplug.com/Server_Status, I also tried to explain how to read the numbers.

Sadly, I introduced a bug into Meteoplugs computation of cumulatative data (like rain totals) a few days ago. The bug is fixed and during the night an automated job recalculating the last few days for all registered users will start. So hopefully, the rain bugs you reported shortly will be history in a day or two. (edit: job has already finished, took just about 2 hours)

To give you an impression how hard the server is performing, I would like to leak one number to you. Meteoplug stores now over 350 GB of weather data. I have a strong eye on performance, but especially when recomputing data for a large user base it will take some time.

Thanks for being patient with me and I hope you are still satisfied with Meteoplug's overall performance and capabilities.