Server slow and lagging behind... [solved]

General Discussion about Meteoplug server
admin
Site Admin

Server slow and lagging behind... [solved]

Post by admin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 am

You might already have noticed it, since yesterday the Meteoplug server has a performance issue. Things are related to a Linux update, which seems to have a negative performance impact on the mysql, which in general is always very busy on the server. The symptoms we are facing are that data gets received, but it can take 1-2 hours until the charts and aggregated data is updated. Meteoplug server is doing this in a round robbing mode. Normally the queues are kept empty, but caused by the performance drop the server actually struggles to get data through faster than new data arrives. When aggregated data in the db gets older than 30 minutes or so, Meteoplug will not upload that outdated info to connected weather networks. So you might see some warning messages about "not recent" data in the log files.

Good news is, that no data will be lost and that I am confident to have this performance problem solved shortly.

Thanks for your patience!

skyewright

Re: Server slow and lagging behind...

Post by skyewright » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 am

admin wrote:Good news is, that no data will be lost and that I am confident to have this performance problem solved shortly.
Perfomance is back to normal here now and, as you say, all the data is there. :D
David

admin
Site Admin

Re: Server slow and lagging behind...

Post by admin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:35 pm

I did some mysql optimizations and server is running even faster than ever now :-)

Just for curiosity, the database holds 984,481,371 raw data entries, and computes 266,835,559 aggregated data sets from that.
This is serious traffic imho!